Antrim Coast Road
In the northernmost corner of
Culture and Heritage
Antrim Coast Road runs between Ballycastle and Larne forming part of the main
A2 Coast Road. Today it forms part of the
Causeway Coastal Route
Derry to Carrickfergus. It was built by William Bald between 1832 and 1842 to replace the
Old Irish Highway which was both poor and dangerous. The road was intended to make not only accessibility to the Glens and Coastal areas possible for inhabitants and trade but also to create a quick access route for troops. The road employed the skills of not only the engineer William Bald but those of Thomas Woodhouse and Charles Lanyon- there are some fine examples of designs and bridge construction along the route – especially the wonderful
Described as the most scenic route in the British Isles the Antrim Coast Road closely follows the coast with the sea on the side and for the most part towering cliffs on the other intersected with glens, waterfalls and small villages, sandy beaches and little harbours. Colonies of birds line the cliffs. It is also a rich hunting ground for geologists and archaeologists; along the 50 mile stretch many examples of rock formations, flints and glaciers can be found.
The nine Glens of Antrim
The famous nine glens, endowed with evocative names and blessed with a diversity of landscape are also rich in history, in folklore and in the natural beauty that is a world away from the frantic bustle of modern life. There are woods, waterfalls, riverside paths, viewpoints and forest parks.
Nine in number, all along the Antrim Coast road- Glenarm The glen of the army, Glencloy The glen of the hedges, Glenariff the fertile glen, Glenballyeamon Edwardstown glen, Glencorp the glen of the slaughtered, Glenaan the glen of the colts foot, Glendun the glen of the brown river, Glenshesk the sedgy glen, Glentaisie the glen of taisie of the bright sides.
Cushendall is a conservation town, and is known locally as "The Capital of the Glens" at the foot of
This attractive village, owned by the National Trust is best known for its unusual Cornish-style cottages, (the work of Clough William Ellis between 1912 and 1925). The ruins of Castle Carra stands in a field above Rockport House at the north end of
Built by the Bisset family in the 14th century and later occupied by the MacDonnells, stands on the headland near Waterfoot.
This is an extremely narrow winding and hilly road with spectacular views on a clear day across to
One of the most beautiful bays in
backed by cliffs growing to the waters edge. There is ruins of ancient Church?. Many rare plants grow nearby. Local facilities car park and picnic area.
Lonely and mysterious
Fairy fact The Vanishing Horsemen