Start of Content

Local Air Pollution Permit

Permit Summary
If you carry out certain activities that are prescribed under Schedule 1 of the Pollution Prevention and Control Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003, then you must hold a permit for your installation or mobile plant.

Your local council is responsible for issuing permits relating to prescribed activities which emit certain substances to air only (Part C installations).

Permits may be obtained from Moyle District Council, Sheskburn House, 7 Mary Street, Ballycastle, BT54 6QH.

Applications are made in writing (including by electronic means), contain specific information about the activity and will be subject to a fee. Download fees applicable to Part C installations.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a permit.

Eligibility Criteria A permit will only be granted if you can satisfy the regulator that the requirements of the regime in terms of controlling emissions to the air can be met and subsequently maintained.

Regulation Summary Download a summary of the regulations relating to this permitting regime and guidance on the application process.

Specific guidance notes (Northern Ireland Process Guidance Notes) relating to your particular activity can be downloaded from the Department of the Environment's (DoE) Industrial Pollution web page.

Application Evaluation Process Moyle District Council will consider whether appropriate pollution prevention methods will be taken, particularly through the application of Best Available Techniques (BAT), and that suitable management systems will be in place.

Moyle District Council may be required to give notice of your application to other statutory authorities, such as the petroleum licensing authority, dependent upon the activity you intend to carry out.

They may also be required to give notice of the application to any other bodies the Department of the Environment require.

They must consider any representations made during the defined consultation period in relation to your application.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply Online
Failed Application Redress
Tel: 028 2076 2225
Fax: 028 2076 9891
Environmental Health & Enforcement Section
Moyle District Council
Sheskburn House
7 Mary Street
You may appeal against a decision to the Planning Appeals Commission. Appeals must be made in writing and given grounds for your appeal. The appeal for a failed application must be made within six months of the decision.

Permit Holder Redress

Please contact Moyle District Councils in the first instance.

You may appeal against a decision to the Planning Appeals Commission. Appeals must be made in writing and given grounds for your appeal. The appeal time will vary dependent upon the type of appeal but for an appeal against a condition, or for the refusal of a variation or transfer for example, these appeals must be made within six months of the decision.

Consumer Complaint We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress
E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one permit holder complain about another operator - contact Moyle District Council.
Trade Associations None

Dog Licensing

Download PDF Reader

Moyle Food Hygiene Rating

Browsealoud - Texthelp

OnlineNI Logo