Start of Content

Hairdressers and Barbers Registration

Licence summary
If you operate as a hairdresser in Northern Ireland, you must be registered with your local district council.

Authorised officers of the district council will have the power to enter and inspect premises.
Eligibility Criteria No provision in legislation
Regulation Summary Hairdressers Act (NI) 1939
Regulation Summary
Application Evaluation Process Application to register your premises is free of charge.

Premises must also be registered for the purposes of Health and Safety legislation - please contact the Environmental Health & Enforcement Section for further information.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that that all equipment and premises to be used in such activities are inspected and found to be suitable and hygienic before you can begin trading to prevent the transfer of, or contamination from, blood borne, and other, diseases.

If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or telephone the Environmental Health & Enforcement Section on 028 2076 2225, or email
Apply online
Contact Details
Tel: 028 2076 2225
Fax: 028 2076 9891

Environmental Health & Enforcement Section
Moyle District Council
Sheskburn House
7 Mary Street
BT54 6QH
Failed Application Redress You are advised to take up any issue with Moyle District Council first.
Licence Holder Redress
Please contact Moyle District Council in the first instance.

If a licence holder is convicted of an offence in a Magistrates court and the court cancel the registration, the licence holder may appeal against the cancellation to the court they were convicted in.
Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Other Redress
Any complaints on how a registered premises is operated should be made directly to the Environmental Health & Enforcement Section.
Trade Associations None

Dog Licensing

Download PDF Reader

Moyle Food Hygiene Rating

Browsealoud - Texthelp

OnlineNI Logo