An analysis of the local economy is carried out by the Council's Economic Development Department and a development strategy is drawn up that usually covers a 3-5 year period. Moyle District has successfully delivered three economic development strategies since 1995 improving the quality of life for its business community and citizens.
In May 2008 Moyle District Council launched its new five year strategy in a period of economic uncertainty. During this period of falling house prices, a reduction in consumer spending and banks withdrawing much needed finance to businesses, Moyle Council is confident it will continue to deliver support and provide a programme of initiatives that will help our economy remain competitive and sustainable.
- carrying out surveys, research and consultations in order to write a local economic development strategy;
- creating an action plan in order to implement the economic development strategy and monitoring its progress;
- seeking opportunities for external funding and making bids;
- project managing economic development and regeneration schemes;
- working closely in partnership with other government organisations including; Department for Education and Learning and Skills Council, the Department Enterprise Trade and Investmet, Northern Ireland Tourist Board, Invest Northern Ireland, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Department for Social Development, neighbouring Councils, the Chamber of Commerce and the local Enterprise Agency;
- signposting and providing advice for local entrepreneurs and business start-ups;
- acting as a first point of call for investment enquiries;
- promoting the development of tourism in the area;
- encouraging sustainable business practices.
The Council has agreed a vision which is “To act as the main facilitator for action, in all matters related to economic and tourism development in the Moyle Council Area”
Inherent within the vision are five core values which include
- Elected Members Responsibility
- Private Sector Assistance
- Public Private Partnerships
- Co-ordination of Services
- Moyle Economic Profile and Trade Directory
- Moyle Service Sector Audit
- Glenariff Village Plan
- Bushmills Village Plan
- Northern Ireland Rural Development Programme (North East Cluster)